twitterfacebookLinked In

Frenquently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions for Locum Dentists


General Locum Information (Click Here)

Courses (Click Here)


Dentists choose locum work for a variety of reasons, you could be a semi retired dentist looking for adhoc additional income, have family commitments or are just in between permanent positions.

To enable us to maintain the highest possible standards of CQC compliance, all of our dentists are required to supply the following documentation by fax or email.

  • CV
  • CRB Check (Must be within 3 years)
  • EU Passport (Include photo, front and back cover)
  • Work Permit – If applicable
  • Additional ID (Birth Certificate, Driving Licence or ID Card)
  • Address Confirmation (Council Tax Statement (Within the last year), Bank Statement (Within the last 6 months) or Phone (Not mobile phone)/Utility Bill (Within the last 3 months))
  • Hepatitis B Serology Levels (Must be within 5 years)
  • GDC Registration Certificate
  • Written Confirmation of Performer Number
  • Indemnity Insurance Certificate
  • Qualification Certificate
  • 2 previous NHS Schedules
  • NHS Pin Number
  • 2 Clinical References (Must include your last or most recent employer and cover the last 2 years)
  • Confirmation of Self Employment (Either letter from Accountant or copy of last Self Assessment)
  • IRMER Certificate  (Must be within 5 years)
  • Radiation Protection Certificate (Must be within 5 years)
  • CPR Certificate (Must be within the last year)
  • Infection Control Certificate (Must be within the last year)
  • Safeguarding Certificate (Children) Level 2 (Must be within 2 years)
  • POVA (Protection of Vulnerable Adults) Certificate (Must be within 2 years)

If you do not have the above CPD documents, which are highlighted in green, there are a number of companies that can provide online courses, please follow this link to see one example -

All of our clients require these documents at the same time as we introduce your details to them, and WE WILL NOT be able to consider your application for any roles unless we have the above documents on file for you.  


Our locums are well rewarded for their work.

A typical locum role will consist of:

30 UDAs per day
Additional income through private treatments usually at 50% of gross fees
Contributing 50% of lab bills

In return you can expect:

Various daily rates up to £360 per day
Accommodation and travelling expenses paid in some instances
One day to twelve months ongoing positions throughout the United Kingdom.

Since April 2006, UK NHS dentists have been paid according to how many "Units of Dental Activity" they do in a year.

To calculate your income you must separate your NHS contract and estimated private income.


£10.00 per UDA x 8,000 UDAs per year £80,000


Additional 20% of £80,000 £16,000

Total Income with NHS and private treatments £96,000

One UDA is worth between £9.00 and £12.00 (net) it varies around the country, and the more need an area has for NHS dentists, the more a UDA is worth.

The actual cash value of a UDA is set by the local NHS Primary Care Trust, in discussion with the Dental Practice. If a dentist does a "simple" course of treatment, involving perhaps Exam, Radiographs, OHI, Perio Care, they will be awarded 1 UDA.

A treatment that involves fillings or extractions will earn the dentist 3 UDAs, and a course of treatment that needs lab work (like dentures or crowns) earns 12 UDAs.

UDAs go by the completed treatment, not the number of items in the treatment plan.
- If you do a treatment with crowns, you will get 12 UDAs. (£180). It doesn't matter if it is 1 crown or 20 crowns, you still get a total of 12 UDAs.
- If you do a treatment involving endo, you get 3 UDAs (£45). Again, it doesn't matter if it is a simple upper incisor, or 5 difficult molars- the "payment" is the same. (If you then restore the teeth with normal fillings, that is also included in the 3 UDAs for that course of treatment.)

How many UDAs?

The PCT sets a limit on how many UDAs you are allowed to do in a year. They may set your "contract" at between 6,000 and 9,000 UDAs per year. The PCT will check regularly that you are achieving enough UDAs to meet your target.

If you accept the contract, you must complete your allocated UDAs by the year end. If you don't, the practice must pay back a proportion of the money. If you do more than 6,000 UDAs in a year the PCT won't pay you any extra for exceeding your contract.

Contact us today to find out how we can help you start working in a position that is flexible to your needs.


Undergraduate dental education

All dentists in the UK initially follow the same education and training, in order to qualify to work as a dentist. A candidate initially needs to obtain a bachelors degree (either a BDS or BChD) from one of the approved dental schools. This is then followed by further training related to the speciality chosen.

* Standard dental courses last five years and include academic education combined with theoretical and practical training in all aspects of dental practice.

Subjects studied include a wide range of health, biological and behavioural sciences, as well as clinical skills in all dental disciplines. The academic requirements for entrance to dental school are high. They vary according to the school and so should be checked individually.

* Accelerated dental courses last four years and include academic education combined with theoretical and practical training in all aspects of dental practice. These are for graduates who hold a 2:1 (or better) degree with a large element of biology and chemistry.

* Courses including pre-dental year are for candidates with non-science subjects to offer at A level (or equivalent). The pre-dental year is a preliminary course in chemistry, physics and biology and lasts normally 30 weeks and would immediately precede the five year degree course.



Dentists must complete, and keep records of, at least 250 hours of CPD over five years. A minimum of 75 of these hours must be verifiable CPD.

What is verifiable CPD

To count as verifiable CPD, an activity must have:

  1. concise educational aims and objectives;
  2. clear anticipated outcomes; and
  3. quality controls (i.e. you should be given the opportunity to give feedback); and

Additionally, you must get and keep a certificate (or other type of documentary proof) proving you took part in the
activity. The certificate should come from the activity provider or organiser, and should show the number of hours you spent on the activity.

Download a sample certificate for verifiable CPD (PDF)

Whether or not the activity has quality controls and whether you'll be able to get documentary proof of your attendance/participation are both matters of fact; either there is an opportunity to give feedback and documentary proof is provided, or not. But the questions of whether the activity has concise educational aims and objectives and clear anticipated outcomes are matters on which you must satisfy yourself, using your own professional judgement.

What is general CPD?

General CPD activities are those which contribute to your professional development as a dentist or dental care professional, but don't meet all four of the criteria above for verifiable CPD. Examples might include journal reading and private study.

Step 3 - Plan your CPD activities to meet the requirement

CPD is defined as study, training, courses, seminars, reading and other activities undertaken by you, which could reasonably be expected to advance your professional development as a dentist or dental care professional. Non-clinical activity can count as CPD.

When choosing activities to undertake to meet the requirements, you should always ask yourself "Does this activity contribute towards my continuing professional development as a dental professional?"

We recommend that dentists and DCPs should carry out CPD in core recommended subjects.

Examples of potential CPD activities

You might consider the following activities to count towards your CPD. The list is not exhaustive:

  • Courses and lectures
  • Vocational Training or General Professional Training study days
  • Educational elements of professional and specialist society meetings
  • Peer review and clinical audit
  • Distance learning
  • Multimedia learning
  • Staff training
  • Background research
  • Private study
  • Journal reading
  • Attending conferences

If you're a vocational trainee, your training can count towards CPD when your CPD cycle begins.

The following are examples of organisations that you can contact who either provide or can direct you to providers of both verifiable and general CPD. The list is also far from exhaustive and there are a number of other providers not listed. The GDC does not accredit or endorse these or any other CPD providers:

  • Your indemnity or insurance provider
  • Postgraduate Dental Deaneries
  • Professional associations:

British Dental Association -
Faculty of General Dental Practioners -
British Association of Dental Nurses -
Dental Laboratories Association -
Clinical Dental Technicians Association -
British Association of Dental Therapists -
Dental Technologists Association -
British Dental Practice Managers' Association -
British Society of Dental Hygiene and Therapy -
Orthodontic Technicians Association -

There are a number of commercial providers of CPD: you can find them on the internet. Additionally dental journals may provide CPD or advertise ways in which you can complete CPD.

Remember: if the activity doesn't meet every one of the four criteria listed above, you will not be able to count it as verifiable CPD, but may still be able to count it towards your general CPD.

Step 4 - Record your CPD

If you want your CPD to count towards your requirement, you must record it whether it is verifiable CPD or general CPD. You can use the GDC recording form (PDF download) for this.

You do not have to use the GDC form for your CPD records, but whatever method you use, you should ensure that you record:

  • Your name and GDC registration number
  • Date of course/activity
  • Title of course/activity
  • Venue (where appropriate)
  • The name of the organisation or individual running the course/activity
  • Indicate whether you are counting the activity as verifiable CPD or general CPD
  • The number of hours you spent doing the CPD activity (you should not include lunch breaks or travel time)

Remember: an additional requirement for verifiable CPD is that you obtain and keep a certificate as proof that you took part in the activity (see above). You might find it helpful to record your verifiable CPD and general CPD on separate sheets, so that activities for which you will need a certificate are readily identifiable.


You should not submit any of your CPD recording forms and documentary proofs to the GDC unless they ask you to do so
Step 5 - Every year, fill in a statement of the CPD hours you've completed

At the end of every year in each five-year cycle, the GDC will write to you and ask you to fill in a form with a declaration of CPD hours (both verifiable and general) that you have completed that year. Do not send any evidence supporting your declaration. They will write to you if this is required. When making the declaration for the final year of your cycle you will be asked to confirm the previous years declarations. Filling in an annual statement is a legal obligation.


  • Check your start date for the compulsory CPD scheme
  • Plan how you will meet the minimum hours of CPD requirement
  • Decide on a recording format for your CPD activity (e.g. GDC recording form)
  • Consider keeping separate records for general CPD and verifiable CPD
  • Ask yourself "does this activity contribute towards my continuing professional development?"
  • For verifiable CPD, check that the criteria have been met and ensure that you have documentary proof of participation, for example a certificate
  • Review your activity regularly to ensure you will meet the minimum requirements
  • Do not send any recording forms or documentary proof to the GDC unless they ask.

If you have any further questions about how the CPD requirements affect you contact the GDC by



Contact the Registration Department

Phone: +44 (0) 845 222 4141
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7487 2643


     Telephone: 020 3879 4940     Email:      ©2013 All Rights Reserved, Infinity Dental Recruitment Ltd