twitterfacebookLinked In

Frenquently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions for EU Dentists


UK Dental Market (Click Here)

NHS Explained (Click Here)

GDC Registration Process (Click Here)

PCT Application Process (Click Here)

Units of Dental Activity (UDAs) explained (Click Here)


Hallo und heißt willkommen

Hola y recepción

Bonjour et bienvenue

Ciao e benvenuto

Hello and welcome to the European dentist section of Infinity Dental, the UK’s leading dental recruitment company for EU dental professionals.

Within these pages we will explain how we are able to give you access to the very best opportunities that the UK dental market has to offer.

Why Infinity Dental?

We are the UK’s top specialist dental recruitment agency committed to providing best possible assistance to candidates in the Dental Industry wanting to move to UK. We understand that people are individuals and that you have specific requirements when considering moving to a different country. It’s a big move!

There are a wide range of employment options available in the UK for EU dentists, we work with 99% of all UK dental providers and not just one dental company, this means we can offer you many types of positions to suit your individual needs. From General Dentistry to Implantology, with some roles in peaceful rural areas and others in large towns and cities.

We can assist where required with information about an area, transport and accommodation. Both Infinity Dental and our clients will offer guidance on relocating to the UK.


UK Dental Market

We cover the whole of the UK and all aspects of Dentistry.

First of all you need to understand how the UK dental market operates and the type of positions you can expect.

The UK has two types of dentist that you can visit, a National Health Service (NHS) dentist and a private dentist.

Since NHS dentistry was introduced in 1948 the majority of treatments in the UK have been supplied by General Dental Practitioners (GDP) who are independent contractors.

Around half of the population in England is registered with an NHS dental practice. Most of these patients visit their dentists every six months or so for a regular check-up, so in most cases the first task of the dentist will be to perform a routine check of the condition of the patient's teeth and identify any causes for concern.

After the initial examination, it is usual for the dentist to perform a cleaning and descaling as a matter of routine. In almost a half of all patient visits, no further treatment is needed.

Where problems are found, to aid diagnosis, most practices in the UK are equipped with facilities for minor X-rays to be developed on the spot.

Around a third of patient visits require some sort of minor treatments, such as standard fillings, root fillings, or, less frequently, caps or bridges. These will usually be carried out within the practice, if necessary using local anaesthetics applied by the dentist. A dental nurse will be available to provide support throughout such treatments.

For more significant problems, the dentist may need to refer patients to specialised dental units at hospitals.

At a typical NHS practice, patients will represent the population of the local community, with a mix of young and older patients, and a representative range of oral health problems.

Around seven million UK patients regularly receive private dental treatment. Most private dentistry is provided by dental practices that also provide NHS treatment. Only around 200 of the UK’s 11,000 practices provide no NHS treatment at all.

Remember, the NHS is for health. Private is for Cosmetic.

Most of the large dental providers that own 100+ surgeries in the UK operate under contract from the NHS. You may have heard of large corporate companies in UK, we work with all of them as well as the additional 10,000+ independent practices in the UK, all of whom we can contact on your behalf.


NHS Explained

Dentists wanting to work on the NHS are required to obtain an NHS Performer Number before working. To do this, you will need a degree in Dentistry, GDC registration, an acceptable English Language test, UK Indemnity Insurance, Hep B vaccination and 2 clinical referees. These documents are provided to the PCT. In addition you will be required to complete a Criminal Background Check. This process can take 8-12 weeks to complete.

PCTs (Primary Care Trusts)

PCTs provide the services you first visit when you have a health problem, it could be a visit to a doctor or dentist, an optician, or a pharmacist.

There are 152 PCTs throughout the UK.

PCTs are now at the centre of the NHS and get 75% of the NHS budget.

Being local organisations, they are in the best position to understand the needs of their community, so they can make sure that the organisations providing health and social care services are working effectively.

To work as an NHS dentist you must apply to a PCT. They will issue you with a Performer Number that will enable you to work throughout England or Wales. In Scotland, and Northern Ireland there are Health Boards that are similar to PCTs in England and Wales.


GDC (The General Dental Council)

The GDC is the organisation which regulates dental professionals in the United Kingdom.

All dentists, dental nurses, dental technicians, dental hygienists, dental therapists and clinical dental technicians must be GDC registered with to work in the UK.

Registering with the GDC this can take around 6 weeks. All dentists must be registered with the GDC to work in the UK.

You can read more about this process by visiting or your Infinity Dental Consultant can assist you.

PCT Application Process

To register with a primary care trust (PCT), you need to find a job first. Once you have found a job, the practice will request an application form from the PCT to begin your registration.

To avoid delays with registration, you need to ensure that you supply ALL the information required by the PCT. The information required is

  • Practice details of where you will be working
  • Your GDC Registration Certificate
  • Your English Language Pass Certificate
  • 2 of your most recent WORK references (university references will be considered if you have not yet practiced)
  • Hep B vaccination certificate (obtained from your doc)
  • CRB Check (criminal record check - normally takes 6 to 12 complete
  • Original Passport and Work Permit
  • Indemnity Insurance (obtained in the UK from various providers.

Please speak to one of our specialist consultants if you require further information.

English Language Test

Communication with patients is very important. You will need to pass an acceptable English Language test in order to work on NHS. Tests are carried out in the UK as well as throughout the EU. The following are some of the most popular tests, details of which can be found on the websites or contact us and we would be happy to help you.

Linguarama -

Health Requirements

If you are coming to UK to join the NHS, you will be required to produce verifiable blood test results supplied in English. Confirmation of vaccination against and non-infection from and Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C or HIV may be required.

Clinical Referees

The PCT will want you to provide contact details of two (2) Dental Professionals who can provide you with a clinical reference. In most cases, the PCT will want your referee to be a Dentist whom you worked for. References from colleagues or instructors may be acceptable in some cases.

Units of Dental Activity (UDAs) explained

Since 1st April 2006 NHS dentists in England and Wales have been paid according to how many "Units of Dental Activity" (UDA) they do in a year. Dentists in Scotland still get paid on a "fee per item" basis.

The actual value of a UDA is set by the local NHS Primary Care Trust (England) or Local Health Board (Wales), in discussion with individual dental practices. The average value is around £20 and it varies around the country. Usually the more in need an area is for NHS dentists, the more a UDA is worth. However, this is not always the case and two practices on the same road may have totally different UDA values.

Each dental procedure has been classified into a band which determines what patients pay and the amount of UDAs a dentist gets. The main bands are:

Band 1   (1 UDA)
Diagnosis, treatment planning and maintenance
Examination, x-rays, scale and polish, preventative work, for example an assessment of a patient’s oral health, minor changes to dentures.

Band 2   (3 UDAs)
Simple treatment, for example fillings (including root canal treatment), extractions and periodontal (gum) treatment.

Band 3  (12 UDAs)
Complex treatment that includes a lab element, for example bridges, crowns and dentures (excludes mouth guards).

Additionally, a dentist gets:
• Band 1 urgent treatment only - 1.2 UDAs
• Issue of prescription - 0.75 UDA
• Repair of dental appliance (denture) - 1 UDA
• Repair of dental appliance (bridge) - 1.2 UDAs
• Removal of stitches - 1 UDA
• Stopping bleeding - 1.2 UDAs

UDAs are awarded and calculated for completed treatments. Therefore if, for example you do a treatment with crowns, you will get 12 UDAs. It does not matter if it is 1 crown or 10 crowns, you still get a total of 12 UDAs. If you do a treatment involving endo, you get 3 UDAs and again, it does not matter if it is a simple upper incisor, or 5 difficult molars as you only get awarded 3 UDAs.

However as with all systems, if you know it well, you can make the most of it. Some dentists earn more now than they did in the previous system. If you are new to the NHS system, we strongly encourage you to get on a few days training/induction with an experienced dentist or with a reputable corporate dental employer. You will also benefit from reading the "Understanding NHS Dentistry" book. This excellent publication explains in detail many aspects of the UDA system and gives examples of treatment plans so a dentist can get the most UDAs without being accused of "playing the UDA game".



     Telephone: 020 3879 4940     Email:      ©2013 All Rights Reserved, Infinity Dental Recruitment Ltd